BUILD DRUPAL SITES QUICKER AND EFFICIENTLY
Drupal is one of the world’s most powerful and scalable content management software solutions, which is why thousands of organizations worldwide build sites and experiences with the Drupal 8 platform. But as businesses launch new digital experiences at an exhilarating pace, Drupal 8 development teams need tools to build and launch sites faster and integrate capabilities more quickly.
Acquia can help – with Acquia Lightning, a Drupal 8 distribution with a powerful set of out-of-the-box tools that let developers build better sites faster.
The challenge of building Drupal sites
One of the biggest challenges facing developers today is the increasing pressure to build new websites, applications and other digital experiences with increasing speed. Digital transformation is accelerating the pace of change, and brands are striving to stay competitive by delivering more content-rich experiences across every channel.
For developers working with Drupal, this means finding ways to develop sites more quickly. Drupal 8 offers powerful standard features like easy content authoring, excellent security and reliable performance. But as an open source platform, Drupal is also supported by one of the world’s largest open source communities of contributors who are constantly extending the platform with new modules, themes and distributions. Navigating these potential options can be challenging – and time-consuming.
Distributions address this problem of abundant choices by pre-selecting collections of curated modules, themes, libraries and out-of-the-box configurations to provide an accelerated starting point for projects. With the right distribution, developers can get further faster, enabling them to keep pace with the demand for new digital experiences.
Acquia Lighting: building Drupal 8 websites faster
Acquia Lightning is one of the most widely adopted Drupal distributions in the world. Lightning provides a common framework that lets developers hit the ground running rather than spending weeks learning a custom framework and selecting the right modules. With Lightning, developers can choose page layouts, drag-and-drop digital assets, schedule content and preview the digital experience before it goes live.
Acquia Lightning provides:
- Streamlined authoring experiences that help editorial teams work smarter on layouts, media, content and experiences to increase engagement and conversions
- Drag-and-drop layout tools that simplify the tasks of placing images, videos, rich media and digital assets into a layout
- Content workflows that support easier collaboration, with tools to configure and streamline reviewing, approving, scheduling and publishing content
- APIs that enable Drupal applications to connect to other systems, which is particularly useful for decoupled Drupal applications that use Drupal as a back-end while using another application for front-end rendering
- Strong security, thanks to regular security audits and to Drupal’s built-in security features that have made it one of the most secure web application frameworks in the world
Advantages of Acquia Lightning for Drupal sites
With Acquia Lightning, digital teams can:
- Cut development time by 30% and deploy Drupal enterprise sites faster to help organizations get to market more quickly.
- Use smarter, configurable workflows to keep digital content and experiences flowing.
- Build best-in-class experiences with curated capabilities for page layouts, media management, content creation and workflows.
- Scale Drupal sites easily with optimization for Acquia Cloud.
Let non-developers build beautiful Drupal sites
Acquia Site Studio, another tool in Acquia’s suite of Drupal-based solutions, is a low-code, Drupal add-on that delivers a more inclusive, collaborative and agile way to build enterprise-grade Drupal sites. With Acquia Site Studio, digital teams can speed up build times by as much as 4x and empower non-developers to be 100% brand compliant.
Site Studio provides:
- A low-code interface that allows non-developers to build and manage sites without needing to write code.
- Tools for rapid assembly that let you quickly drag, drop, arrange and nest components to create immersive page layouts.
- A layout canvas with a live preview that lets users select from a feature-rich library of components, content media and interactive elements.
- Templates that ensure layouts follow branding and design guidelines.
- In-context editing that makes it easy to edit content directly on a page.
FAQs: what is Drupal?
What is Drupal?
Drupal is an open source content management system (CMS) used to build websites, mobile apps and other digital experiences. As one of the most popular CMS products in the world, Drupal is trusted by many leading brands and supported by a large unity of contributors and users.
What is Acquia Lightning?
Acquia lightning is an open source Drupal distribution that provides tools for developers to create more compelling digital experiences quickly. Acquia Lightning streamlines the process of building and delivering feature-rich sites.