We Have Experimental Modules, Now What?
Experimental modules are critical to Drupal 8. They are part of how D8 allows tinkering and innovation. Although Drupal 8’s release cycle was shortened to twice a year, some things just need more time to be fully built and stable. This is what experimental modules in core enable, while allowing us to put the new improvements to a wider test.
In this tech talk, we’ll discuss the tradeoffs to the experimental module process and answer questions like:
- What kind of improvements are destined to be experimental modules?
- What about experimental installation profiles?
- Where did the experimental module process help and fail us?
- Do we have too many or not enough experimental modules?
- How do we ensure that experimental modules mature to stable soon enough?