Acquia to Support Drupal 7 Through 2025
At Acquia, we do our best to ease the burden for our customers when versions of Drupal reach their end of life. We work to provide extra support and services for businesses that depend on their digital properties, now more than ever.
Drupal 7 end of life has been extended multiple times since its initial end of life date in November 2021. The Drupal Project has given one final extension of Drupal 7 end of life, which is now January 5, 2025. This final extension has been granted due to the significant number of sites still on D7 – over 375,000 sites – and the complexity of the Drupal 7 migration.
Acquia also recognizes those impacts and that the migration off of D7 can be extensive. While Acquia does not control the security coverage of Drupal versions (it’s up to Drupal project leadership and the Security Team), we are proud to announce that Acquia will continue to keep our platform compatible with Drupal 7 through November 2025, including support for PHP 7.4 for Drupal 7 users.
Upgrading to Drupal 10
Drupal 10 (D10) offers the latest and greatest that Drupal has to offer. For customers still on Drupal 7, D10 represents over a decade of innovation and hundreds of new features, including the ability to:
- Use the same structured-content-based system you grew to love.
- Craft layouts with the built-in visual layout builder and reuse blocks to customize all parts of the page.
- Use the integrated configuration management system with development and staging environment support from contributed modules.
- Manage reusable media in the out-of-the-box media library.
- Take advantage of full multilingual support in all content and configuration.
- Work with more confidence thanks to better keyboard navigation and accessibility.
- Make changes even from your mobile devices thanks to a mobile-first UI.
- Enjoy better performance and scalability with built-in BigPipe support for even faster initial page loads.
- Leverage built-in JSON:API support for progressively and fully decoupled applications.
- Collaboratively create, review, and publish content with robust content workflows.
An organization’s migration from Drupal 7 to Drupal 10 is a complex process. It can be a lengthy migration process that involves several different steps. To gain a better understanding of what this migration will look like, check out the phases of a successful migration.
This blog was originally published in 2020 and has been updated to remain current.