Acquia Completes $30 Million Financing
BURLINGTON, Mass. – NOVEMBER 29, 2012 – Acquia, the enterprise guide to Drupal, today announced it has completed a $30 million financing round, bringing total investment in the company to $68.5 million. Led by new investor Investor Growth Capital, the round includes Goldman Sachs and Accolade Partners, as well as all of Acquia’s current investors, North Bridge Venture Partners, Sigma Partners, and Tenaya Capital. Jose Suarez from Investor Growth Capital has also joined Acquia’s Board of Directors.
The new financing round will enable Acquia to accelerate its sales and marketing efforts, and continue its international expansion across Europe and Asia Pacific. Additionally, the funding will amplify Acquia’s efforts to bring unified content, community and commerce solutions to market, helping digital marketing and IT organizations create and deploy content-rich, multi-channel web experiences.
“Our customers have made it clear that they are unhappy with the status quo on the web and are demanding innovative platforms that give them new freedom to integrate with their existing marketing toolset and increase the productivity of their digital teams,” said Tom Erickson, CEO of Acquia. “We are delighted to have the participation of an elite group of investors as Acquia disrupts the market for content, community and commerce solutions, enabling multinational brands to achieve a new-found agility and set the pace with the fast moving social, and increasingly mobile, web.”
“Investor Growth Capital was drawn to Acquia’s vision to help digital marketing organizations in the Global 2000 harness the innovation and agility of open source Drupal,” said Jose Suarez, Managing Director at Investor Growth Capital. “Acquia delivers a compelling combination of enterprise class products, Drupal technical expertise and leadership. We believe the web is changing, and that Acquia is uniquely positioned to help global brands create and manage immersive, multi-channel digital experiences.”
- Acquia revenue has nearly doubled YoY through September 30th and is growing at 250% CAGR over the past three years
- More than 100 employees have been added in the past 12 months, including an expansion of Acquia’s Asia Pacific presence into Sydney, Australia
- Acquia’s global partner program has added more than 150 new partners in 2012, with nearly 550 partners in total
- Acquia acquired the content quality assurance technology company Mollom BVBA to accelerate product development of its SaaS content protection service to meet the needs of digital marketing organizations
Product & Market Highlights
- Acquia Cloud is the first global Drupal cloud hosting provider to operate on four continents, delivering over nine billion requests and 140 terabytes of content per month
- Acquia Insight, our application analysis suite that performs real-time assessment of the performance and security of Drupal applications, now has more than 18,000 Drupal sites connected.
- Gartner, Inc. positioned Acquia in the “Visionaries” quadrant in both the 2012 “Magic Quadrant for Web Content Management” and the “Magic Quadrant for Social Software in the Workplace.” [Sources: Gartner, Magic Quadrant for Social Software in the Workplace, 27 September 2012; Magic Quadrant for Web Content Management, 6 September 2012]
- A commissioned study conducted by Forrester Consulting survey on behalf of Acquia on enterprise adoption of open source Web Content Management options found that almost 60% of enterprises surveyed have considered open source for their web initiatives and 72% of organizations using open source solutions said it gave them greater flexibility [Is It Time To Consider Open Source WCM For Digital Experience?; Oct. 2012]
- Drupal adoption is growing 50% year-over-year – 2.5 times faster than the overall combined web content and social business markets. Drupal has achieved significant market share in public sector, media and entertainment and higher education markets. An estimated fifteen percent of Forbes Global 2000 companies today run Drupal.
Awards & Accolades
- Acquia was recognized as the fastest growing software company in the US, and the eighth fastest growing company overall, by Inc. Magazine in the 2012 Inc. 500
- Acquia was named Private Company of the Year in Massachusetts by MassTLC in September 2012
“From the beginning, my intention with the Drupal project was to build a dominant open source technology that can help organizations quickly create extraordinary web experiences,” said Dries Buytaert, CTO and Co-Founder, Acquia. “Drupal adoption is higher and the community is stronger than ever before, as more organizations around the globe discover how the power of community can help them build amazing things on the web.”
About Acquia, the enterprise guide to Drupal
Acquia empowers enterprises with the open source social publishing system Drupal. Co-founded by Drupal’s creator in 2007, Acquia helps customers manage the growth and scale of their online properties with confidence. Acquia’s products, cloud infrastructure, and support enable companies to realize the full power of Drupal while minimizing risk, as it’s done for enterprise customers including Twitter, Warner Music Group, Humana, Stanford University, Mercedes-Benz and MTA. Acquia was recently named the number one software company in the 2012 Inc. 500 survey of the fastest growing private companies. Acquia has also been named one of the 100 most promising companies in America by Forbes Magazine. See who’s using Drupal at http://www.drupalshowcase.com, and for more information please visit www.acquia.com or call 888-9-ACQUIA.