BOSTON – July 13, 2015 – Acquia, the digital experience company, today announced Drupal 8 availability on the Acquia Platform, the leading cloud platform for unifying content, community, and commerce. Acquia customers and partners can now confidently harness the combined power of the Acquia Platform with Drupal 8 for new sites.
The web is currently undergoing a massive re-architecture, driven by the explosion of mobile devices and applications, the requirement to deliver personalized experiences to every customer, and the demands on organizations to embrace digital transformation. Legacy web content management platforms combined with on-premise or “false cloud” deployment models cannot deliver the agility large organizations demand. Acquia with Drupal 8 provides an unmatched platform for sustainable digital innovation.
“I believe the combination of Acquia and Drupal 8 delivers the most important advance in the delivery of digital experiences the market will see in the next 10 years,” said Dries Buytaert, Drupal founder and project lead, and Acquia co-founder and CTO. “Drupal 8 breaks the mold for dated content management models and liberates content from the page for the post-browser era. Now we have the power to deliver the right content, to the right audience, at the right time, on the right device.”
Drupal 8 provides more than 200 breakthrough new capabilities for customers including:
- Re-imagined authoring experience. Drupal 8 provides a new content authoring experience, designed to help authors quickly and easily create content.
- Mobile-first. The entire Drupal 8 user interface has been made responsive, allowing content authors to publish content on any device.
- Content as a service. Drupal 8 provides an API approach to content delivery, allowing content to be made available everywhere, including websites, mobile devices, native applications, digital screens, and the Internet of Things.
- Simplified deployment. Drupal 8 incorporates many of the most widely deployed modules from previous versions of Drupal into its core, speeding time to web for site builders.
- Go global. Quickly translate sites into any language. Drupal 8 is multilingual throughout.
- Developer productivity. Drupal 8 provides extensive enhancements for developers, including RESTful APIs, object-oriented development, simplified configuration management, improved unit testing support, and more.
- Improved performance. Drupal 8 includes caching improvements that speed the delivery of personalized, dynamic content.
More than 400 sites are currently running Drupal 8, and digital agencies and system integrators including VML, Mediacurrent, Phase2, Achieve Internet, Amazee Labs, Chapter Three, Elevated Third, Digital Bridge, Digital Echidna, Duo Consulting, FFW, Four Kitchens, ImageX Media, Motionstrand, OHO Interactive, Palantir.net, Promet Source, R/GA, Trellon, and Zivtech, are adopting Acquia and Drupal 8 together.
“Drupal 8 redefines the way our agency and clients look at digital marketing. Coupled with the Acquia Platform, Drupal 8 represents a generational shift in marketing technology. We believe that it will be a great fit for our clients, who need technology to work for them, at their speed, on any device,” said Jeff Geheb, global chief technology officer, VML. “With Drupal 8, open source has come of age. No innovation more vividly represents the power of a global community to accelerate progress in technology.”
"Launching on Drupal 8 gives us the opportunity to be at the forefront of innovation and early in its development cycle, ready to adapt to the latest opportunities and technology solutions,” said Jeremy Barrow, director, web strategy & execution at Manhattan Associates, which engaged Acquia and partner Mediacurrent to help launch its new site on Drupal 8 earlier this year. "With Drupal 8 we gained the powerful internationalization and responsive theming capabilities that we needed, and the Acquia Platform provides a secure and resilient environment for optimizing our sites."