Experimental modules are critical to Drupal 8. They are part of how D8 allows tinkering and innovation. Although Drupal 8’s release cycle was shortened to twice a year, some things just need more time to be fully built and stable. This is what experimental modules in core enable, while allowing us to put the new improvements to a wider test.
In this tech talk, we’ll discuss the tradeoffs to the experimental module process and answer questions like:
- What kind of improvements are destined to be experimental modules?
- What about experimental installation profiles?
- Where did the experimental module process help and fail us?
- Do we have too many or not enough experimental modules?
- How do we ensure that experimental modules mature to stable soon enough?