Questions from Drupal for Project Managers - Part 1
Today we held part 1 of our Drupal for Project Managers mini-course. Here are the questions Adam addressed in our interview today. If you missed the session you will be able to watch the recording (recording link coming soon!). Ask your questions below in the comments.
Part 1 - Kickoff and Discovery - Interview with Adam Boysen
"Never mistake estimation for discovery" - Adam
- The role of the project manager
- What is involved in the kick off phase?
- What are some risks associated with the kick off?
- Are there obvious differences if the client or context is small or large?
- Example resources?
- Preparing for “change management”
- What is involved in the process of discovery?
- What is the difference with estimation v discovery?
- What are some of the other risks with discovery?
- How do you document assumptions?
- How do different project management methodologies work with Drupal?
Assignment this week
- Look at your own project management process with a current client.
- Did you hold a proper kick off, and did discover any hidden stakeholders on the project?
- Do you have a clear plan for change management establish with your client?
- How does your team document assumptions as estimations are built during discovery?
Key resources for Kick off and Discovery
- Join the "project management" group to meet other managers in the community http://groups.drupal.org/project-management
- Drupal project management Lifecycle of a website http://mearra.com/blogs/vesa-palmu/drupal-project-management-life-cycle-...
- External risk mitigation in Drupal: Takeaways from a Denver BoF - http://www.opensourcery.com/blog/andrea/external-risk-mitigation-drupal-...
- Lessons Learned from the Agile Process Applied http://chicago2011.drupal.org/sessions/lessons-learned-agile-process-app... Jenn Sramek/CivicActions, Elizabeth Raley/CivicActions, Justine Hirsch/CivicActions
- PMs Triangle of Truth, BueSpark Labs. http://www.bluesparklabs.com/blog/pms-triangle-truth
Presentations and panel discussions
- Beyond budget and scope. managing client expectation and delivering value. Vanessa Turke, ImageX media, DrupalCon San Francisco. http://www.slideshare.net/vcreatrix/beyond-budget-and-scope-managing-cli...
- Project management as an Art Form panel. (Nicole Lind/Treehouse Agency, Joel Sackett/Phase2 Technology, Amy O'Malley/Palantir, George DeMet/Palantir) http://chicago2011.drupal.org/sessions/project-management-art-form
- Strategies for Client Management panel. (Amye Scavarda/ (formerly of function), Chris Strahl/Acquia, Vanessa Turke/ImageX Media, Seth Brown/Lullabot, Rachel Scott/Lullabot) http://chicago2011.drupal.org/sessions/strategies-client-management
- Delivering Drupal http://denver2012.drupal.org/program/sessions/delivering-drupal This presentation is based on experience at http://www.examiner.com, the presenters demonstrated the pros and cons of Waterfall and Agile methodologies, and showed how they developed a methodology appropriate for Drupal 7 sites.
- “Planning and Managing a Drupal Project” by Amye Scavarda. Chapter 10 of Definitive Guide to Drupal.
- Planning and Managing Drupal Projects, By Dani Nordin.
Four week mini-course schedule
This course follows the life cycle of a Drupal project from start to finish and back again and is based on our full day Drupal for Project Manager’s course.
- May 29 - Part 1: Project kick off and planning - with Adam Boysen
- June 5 - Part 2: Implementation with Jakub Suchy - Sign up now.
- June 12 - Part 3: Launching with Amye Scavarda (sign up link coming soon!)
- June 19 - Part 4: Maintenance with Jenn Sramek (sign up link coming soon!)
Sign up to our training newsletter
Sign up to our training newsletter to be notified about more tutorials for you.