Drupal Commons Tutorial: Customizing Community Website
Often community managers are moving between a variety of fractured systems. They might have a community discussion in a forum application, but they need to edit content in a CMS. Recently we completed two live tutorials showing community managers how to manage groups, users and the content on their sites using Drupal Commons.
Drupal Commons allows you to unify the content editing and community experience. It is online community software that works right out of the box. It is used to build knowledge sharing networks, collaborative spaces, and discussion areas with levels of privacy to support vibrant communities. Drupal Commons is built on Drupal 7 and was made to be modified. This mean it's easy to customize and extend your online community.
One main benefits of Drupal Commons is also lowering barriers to participation. Participants in the community can follow groups or topics in the site, without needing to join. However, there are also ways to keep communication private and contained. You can create groups that hide content from non-members, or allow only certain members to add content in a specific group. Drupal Commons also includes person-to-person interactions such as messaging; "following", like Twitter, which doesn't require approval; and "trusted contacts", like Facebook, which requires approval on both sides.
Review these two tutorials and slides to learn how to...
- Navigate the site to see content, members, and activity
- Create and share content
- Manage users and participation
- Customize tags, terms and taxonomy across the site
- Configure privacy and group access
Videos and slides are posted:
- Intro to Commons, Part 1: How to Manage Your Online Community
- Intro to Commons, Part 2: How to Customize Your Commons Site
Sign up to the next tutorials
In an upcoming tutorial, we’ll look at Drupal Commons as from the perspective of a site builder or site administrator. We’ll explore the key decisions you need to make about your community and discuss how to change site functionality to suit your community’s needs. Sign up!
You'll learn how to:
- Configure and add new content types
- Customize landing pages for groups
- Control what your community managers can do on the site
You'll learn how to:
- Add new modules, features, and roles
- Control access and permissions to advanced functionality
- Use Drupal Commons best practices to customize your online community
Sign up to our training newsletter
Sign up to our training newsletter to be notified about more tutorials for you.