London, UK – March 8, 2012 – Aquia the enterprise guide to Drupal, today announced another remarkable year of growth in 2011, as its revenue has grown to nearly 150 percent, more than doubling the previous year. Acquia also tripled its client base to nearly 2000 customers including Twitter, eBay, Maxim Magazine, Brit Awards, Mercedes-Benz and the United States Department of Energy.
According to Drupal.org, since 2001 Drupal has grown into a global phenomenon with more than 777,980 registered community members in 228 countries speaking 181 languages. The open source social publishing platform has seen widespread adoption, primarily in the publishing, education, government, arts, media and entertainment, as well with a number of community, product and corporate company web sites.
- Revenue more than doubled in 2011, growing nearly 150 percent over the year
- Doubled employees to 200 around the world, successfully opening new offices in Oxford, UK, and Portland, OR
- Secured $15 million Series D funding with Tenaya Capital, Northbridge Venture Partners, Sigma Partners
- Added two Board of Directors members and industry veterans Thomas Bogan, current Chairman of the Board for Citrix and Paul Sallabery, former VP at Oracle and current board member for Quest Software
- Acquired Cyrve, Drupal migration services provider, and Growing Venture Solutions, Drupal security services provider, and introduced Acquia Migration Services and Acquia Security Services
Customer and Partner Expansion
- Acquia has tripled its customer base in the last three quarters with more than 2000 customers, adding Twitter, eBay, Mercedes-Benz, Brit Awards, Maxim Magazine, the U.S. Department of Energy and more
- Greatly expanded partner network to 400 partners, adding more than 100 new developer and technology partners such as Alfresco, Engine Yard, Lingotek, New Relic and VML
- Launched Acquia U, a program to employ and train recent and upcoming college graduates, as well as career changers, in Drupal
- Sponsored 70 Drupal community events like camps, summits, meet ups, conferences and code sprints around the world
Product Innovation and Industry Recognition
- Launched Acquia Dev Cloud and Acquia Managed Cloud packaging options for Acquia’s Drupal cloud hosting platform, which now boasts more than 600 customers in total, serving more than 5 Billion http requests per month
- Released Acquia Insight, an application management suite that assesses Drupal performance, security and configuration in real time, providing code level analysis and clear, actionable recommendations to address system issues
- Enhanced the Acquia Network – an unparalleled collection of knowledge, tools, and support for assembling extraordinary web experiences with Drupal – with the following:
- A new user experience and a content rich knowledgebase — the Acquia Library with more than 500 articles
- Acquia Apps Market availability, with more than a dozen third party services available to operate and extend Drupal websites, including Mu Dynamics, uTest, Yottaa, LingoTek, Drupalize.Me and more
- Announced Drupal Gardens general availability with powerful site building and WYSIWYG design capabilities; more than 80,000 sites were created in the last year
- Unveiled Acquia Commons 2.0 – next generation ready-to-use open social business software based on Drupal with rapidly evolving social web features
- Acquia received numerous awards and notoriety in 2011, including:
- Forbes 100 Most Promising Companies
- Gartner Magic Quadrant Visionary for External Facing Social Software
- Premiere Silicon Valley TiE50 Awards Winner, one of 50 most enterprising startups
- KMWorld’s Trend-Setting Product of the Year
- Enterprise 2.0 Conference Launch Pad Award Finalist
- #1 Ranking on Momentum Index Top 20 List of top open source companies
- EContent 100 – Drupal among Top 100 in Digital Content Industry for 2011-2012
“2011 was another banner year for Acquia, as we continued to aggressively expand and bring the innovative power of Drupal to enterprises that want to assemble extraordinary web experiences,” said Tom Erickson, CEO of Acquia. “We are proud of accomplishments both at Acquia and within the Drupal community, and will continue to work together to expand Acquia’s reach and further accelerate Drupal growth internationally in 2012.”
“Drupal adoption has never been higher, and the community is stronger than it ever has been,” said Dries Buytaert, co-founder and CTO of Acquia. “And I am pleased to see the surge of interest among enterprises to standardize on Drupal for their specific web and content management needs. I expect to see more growth within the community and look forward to working with them to revolutionize today’s web experience.”
About Acquia™, the enterprise guide to Drupal
About Acquia™, your enterprise guide to Drupal // Acquia empowers enterprises with the open-source social publishing system Drupal. Co-founded by Drupal’s creator in 2007, Acquia helps customers manage their growth and scale their online properties with confidence. Acquia’s products, cloud infrastructure, and support enable companies to realize the full power of Drupal while minimizing risk, as it’s done for nearly 2,000 enterprise customers including Twitter, Al Jazeera, Turner, Intuit, World Economic Forum, Stanford University, Mercedes-Benz and NPR.
See who’s using Drupal at http://www.drupalshowcase.com, and for more information please visit www.acquia.com or call 888-9-ACQUIA.