Mercy Corps’ Global Citizen Corps
Mercy Corps’ Global Citizen Corps website is a platform that allows U.S. and Middle Eastern high school students to learn more about critical issues that impact the world, exchange ideas with peers and educators, and help build a powerful movement for change.
Creating an Informational and Social Hub for a Multi-Lingual World
MercyCorps is one of the largest global aid agencies in the world, providing disaster relief and assistance to more than 16.5 million people in more than 40 countries, with a staff of about 3,700 employees located around the globe. However, even though this respected organization has its own Drupal developers, when it was time to build its Global Citizen Corps website, they turned to OpenSourcery to develop it for them.
There was one big factor OpenSourcery needed to consider when building an informational website that could also function as a social networking hub: readers not only required text to be translated from English to Arabic (or vice versa), but they needed to read from right-to-left or left-to-right, depending on their native language.
Fortunately, OpenSourcery was able to construct a seamless solution to this tricky issue, utilizing a multi-lingual Drupal module and several other toolsets to create a leadership-fostering site that can be read by either English- or Arabic-speaking students with the click of a mouse.
- Full English and Arabic content, with full right-to-left and left-to-right support.
- Ability to add other languages in the future.
- Forums and discussion groups, where users can create and respond to threads.
- Take-action widgets that educate about important issues, suggest actionable solutions, and provide valuable resources.
- Ability to upload images and write blog posts.