Wanted: Drupal Core Toolbar maintainer
by Jesse Beach
You may have seen xjm's call for a Taxonomy module co-maintainer. This post is a call for a maintainer of the Toolbar module. It currently lacks an official maintainer.
What you'd do
- Check for RTBC 8.x toolbar issues (it's empty right now!) every few days, and help the core maintainers by ensuring that our RTBCs have clear, up-to-date issue summaries and that they meet basic requirements like the core gates.
- Keep an eye on major and critical toolbar issues: Make sure their summaries are up to date, that the next step is clear, and that they are actually major or critical. Consulting with others to determine criticality is ok.
- Triage the open 8.x toolbar queue once a week or so to make sure issues are filed correctly and to get more information when needed.
- Identify potential novice tasks among open toolbar issues, and post and monitor them on the core mentoring website.
As you can see, not a lot of coding! Of course, you're more than welcome to work on patches for the module as well.
What you'd get out of it
xjm identifies these benefits of being a core maintainer
- Insight into Drupal core process.
- Direct exposure to what's new and exciting in Drupal 8.
- Karma! People who work on core will recognize your contributions, and so that makes it easier for them to help and support you in return.
- Seriously, is there anything more awesome than having your name in every copy of Drupal that gets downloaded?
How do I "apply"?
The word apply is wrapped in quotation marks because maintainership of toolbar is not something I will personally grant. Not at all. We are discussing the maintainership in an issue. I encourage you to announce your interest in that issue. If you have questions about maintainership before you make your intentions known in the issue, I am glad to answer them through my contact form.