Questions from Drupal for Project Managers - Part 2
Today we held part 2 of our Drupal for Project Managers mini-course. Here are the questions Jakub addressed in our interview today. If you missed the session you will be able to watch the recording (recording link coming soon!). Ask your questions below in the comments.
Part 2 - Implementation - Interview with Jakub Suchy
- Your team - clarifying roles
- Project manager role in implementation.
- Custom v contrib
- Theming and design.
- Content type design.
- How do you test functionality and quality?
Assignment this week
- Model a content type for an example project. How many fields do you need? What kinds of data would they hold?
- Do a search on Drupal.org for a module which has some specific functionality you want. Run through the assessment checklist included in the link below.
Key resources for Implementation
Here are some useful resources.
- Join the "project management" group to meet other managers in the community http://groups.drupal.org/project-management
- Definitive Guide to Drupal - Chapter on Project Management by Amye Scavarda
- Planning and Managing Drupal projects, Dani Nordin
- Guide to planning and building Drupal sites, by Cindy McCourt
- Article on Behat and Mink - Acceptance Testing for Drupal Sites by Melissa Anderson
- Selenium - web browser automation
- Saucelabs.com - selenium in the cloud
- U-test - Crowd sourced user testing
- Acquia Insight - https://insight.acquia.com/
- Acquia Pre-launch site audit (PDF)
- Capybara - Acceptance test framework for web applications
- Jenkins - Continuous Integration server could be used to orchestrate all of these. See also http://www.cloudbees.com/ - Jenkins in the cloud.
Blog posts related to a content-first Drupal implementation
- The Drupal Maintenance Challenge and How to Manage It by Jay Callicott, Product Manager, Media Current.
- When and how caching can save your Drupal site by Hernâni Borges de Freitas, Acquia.
- Strategic Content Management http://www.alistapart.com/articles/strategic-content-management
- Mark Boulton on designing websites using 'content out'. http://www.netmagazine.com/interviews/mark-boulton-designing-websites-us...
- Content First http://adactio.com/journal/4523/
- Content modeling: A Master skill http://www.alistapart.com/articles/content-modelling-a-master-skill/
- Future ready content http://www.alistapart.com/articles/future-ready-content/
- Responsive web design http://alistapart.com/articles/responsive-web-design/
- Use the issue queue http://drupal.org/node/317
Module assessment checklist
Module selection is usually done by the dev team, but it's useful for you to know how to assess modules as well. The following are items that you should check as you assess modules via the project page:
- When was the last full release of the module? Dev release?
- How many sites are running the module?
- What is the module’s Maintenance status?
- Are the developers notable for contributions (multiple projects, and many comments)?
- How active are the maintainers in the issue queue?
- How many open tickets are there versus the closed tickets?
Four week mini-course schedule
This course follows the life cycle of a Drupal project from start to finish and back again and is based on our full day Drupal for Project Manager’s course.
- May 29 - Part 1: Project kick off and planning - notes and recording - with Adam Boysen
- June 5 - Part 2: Implementation with Jakub Suchy - (recording coming soon!)
- June 12 - Part 3: Launching with Amye Scavarda. Sign up
- June 19 - Part 4: Maintenance with Jenn Sramek. Sign up
Sign up to our training newsletter
Sign up to our training newsletter to be notified about more tutorials for you.