Cloud Software Engineer
Does running thousands of machines in the cloud without ever logging into a single box sound like the future to you? Do you like building resilient systems where even a second of downtime is unacceptable? Do you like architecting applications that can scale horizontally to perform billions or trillions of monthly operations? Do you want to power websites for clients that matter? Do you want to make a difference and have the power to design features and quickly see them pushed live to production?
Acquia runs one of the world's largest Platform as a Service (PaaS) offerings. Our Drupal optimized cloud runs on over 8000 AWS instances and delivers billions of page views monthly for our clients, running some of the largest and most mission-critical websites in the world. We are seeking exceptional cloud infrastructure engineers who desire to deliver world-class performance & reliability and build powerful tools for software developers to effortlessly scale their web applications. At Acquia, we are obsessive about our customers' uptime, security, scalability and developer experience and are looking for engineers who are equally passionate.
Our cloud engineering team utilizes a variety of programming languages and technologies to tackle many interesting architecture and scalability challenges. Although we run PHP & MySQL at a massive scale for our Drupal customers, on the backend we’re building scalable systems, automation and stack enhancements in everything from Ruby to PHP to Python and C, and storing data in everything from MySQL to Cassandra and DynamoDB.
At Acquia we work on a variety of exciting projects ranging from managing massive global Puppet infrastructures, to architecting Graphite clusters storing billions of time series datapoints, to building highly available database clusters using the latest technology like Go.
- Design and develop tools that automatically deploy, maintain, and monitor LAMP-based hosting environments
- Research, specify, and test cloud hosting architectures leveraging your web, database, and OS knowledge
- Design & development a wide range of Platform as a Service features enabling the next generation of websites and applications to be built on Acquia Cloud
- Debug the toughest web service production issues
- Share your expertise with customers, partners, and the open-source community via blogs, papers, talks, etc.
- Strong software development and technical leadership skills
- Passion for websites and website delivery architecture
- Deep, working knowledge of LAMP stack--OS, web server, and database systems (Linux, Apache, and MySQL preferred)
- Strong Object Oriented Programming experience with a scripting language such as Ruby, Python, PHP, etc.
- Holistic understanding of the Internet and hosting from the network layer up through the application layer.
- 2 to 4 years of related experience (this is a junior to mid level role)
- Languages: Ruby, PHP, Python
- Cloud hosting experience (e.g., Amazon Web Services, OpenStack, CloudStack, VMWare, Eucalyptus, etc.)
- Web Development (e.g., Drupal, CSS, JSON, jQuery)
- Configuration management (e.g., Puppet, Chef, Subversion, Git)
- Web security (e.g., Firewall, IDS systems, DOS prevention)
- Networking (e.g., TCP/IP, DNS, load balancing, HTTP caching, clustering, etc.)
- Linux packages (e.g., Debian or RPM packages); Ubuntu experience
- Automated testing experience--Jenkins, TravisCI, unit tests, system tests, etc.