OpenPublish Gaining Momentum, Version 2.3 Released
by Alex Lindahl
We’ve been working hard with the Phase2 Technology team to bring a managed OpenPublish solution to market, offering Phase2’s site implementation services along with Acquia’s hosting, support, and remote administration. This powerful Drupal distribution for the online publishing industry is one of the many different distributions that is gaining momentum and one of one of three that are part of our software publishing program and now on our “Solutions” tab. (We’ll likely be adding others in the future as we grow our software publishing initiative.) In the meantime, it’s time to bring everyone up to speed on the latest OpenPublish developments. (If you’re unfamiliar with OpenPublish, it’s a Drupal distribution designed for building large-scale publishing sites.)
1. OpenPublish 2.3 Released! The Phase2 team has done a great job to continually improve OpenPublish and roll out with new features. This not only shows growing maturity of the solution, but solid dedication from their team making OpenPublish a killer product. Version 2.1 was released last June followed by 2.2 in late August. OpenPublish 2.3 includes numerous module updates, bug fixes and security improvements, as well as the following features:
- Facebook Like
- Improved digital assets managements
- DocumentCloud integration
- Integration with an in-stream advertising network
- Editors’ Choice
- A new editorial workflow system
- Improved and streamlined RSS export
- Tighter Solr Search integration
- Improved time management for Calendar Events
- Features and Context upgrades
- All modules upgraded to their latest versions
2. Managed OpenPublish Packages. Together, with Phase2, we now provide a managed OpenPublish solution. Our goal is to provide "right-sized" development, hosting, and support services to get OpenPublish implementations off the ground for online publications of all sizes. Our complete managed solutions take the guess work out of setting up your site on OpenPublish, and allow publishers to stay on the cutting edge of trends in the industry, without spending all their time getting there.
3. OpenPublish Google Chrome Extension. The number of publishing sites built on OpenPublish is growing as the distribution gains deeper roots within the publishing industry. OpenPublish now powers more than 150 online publications worldwide, in 12 languages.We’re already starting to see this as we’re now in discussions with several well known publishers. Now you can start tracking which sites are on Drupal and OpenPublish by installing the new OpenPublish plugin for Google Chrome.
4. OpenPublish Training at the Online News Association Conference. If you’re attending ONA this, be sure to look out for Phase2 Technology who are Silver sponsors and also providing a full day of OpenPublish training on Thursday October 28th. The conference will be held in Washington, DC October 28 - 30, 2010. If you can’t attend the training, stop by the booth and say hi to Phase2!